Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Blooming

voodoo vixen allie dress

Things around here are finally starting to bud and bloom, so I thought it was the perfect time to wear this gorgeous floral print dress from Voodoo Vixen. Before I get into the details on this dress, I wanted to share something that happened when I took these photos. I have a feeling it's not a unique story, especially for other bloggers, but it's been bugging me ever since.

voodoo vixen floral dress

Although I take a lot of photos of myself, I prefer to do so in a quiet area without many people around. I hate taking photos in public places, so if I have to do it, I'll try to go during a not-so-popular time. These flower murals (which I've wanted to use as a backdrop for a long time) are painted on the side of a beloved Rochester shop. I decided to go in the early morning, hours before they opened. No one was around, but it's not a secluded area by any means, so I thought it'd be fine.

floral pinup dress
floral print dress
floral vintage dress

Of course, as I'm setting up to take photos, a squirrelly looking guy in his 40s comes into the parking lot and starts walking towards me. He's got his earbuds in and is singing to himself. He gets closer, looking at me. I'm not exactly worried  – more like annoyed – but then he pulls out his phone to take a picture of me. This is while I'm busying myself with settings on my camera, mind you, not while I'm posing in front of it. I can't think of anything good to say (I think I said something eloquent like, "uh, I don't need you taking pictures of me, thanks"), and at this point, I'm wary of saying anything too abrasive anyway because I'm alone and relatively defenseless. After a good minute or two, he slowly walks across the parking lot, still looking at me. Then, he goes over to a car and starts talking to the driver. I'm hopeful that he's leaving, but then he comes back and continues to watch me. Then, the car comes into the parking lot, and the driver gets out. The two of them start talking – loudly, almost suspiciously so. I hear the squirrelly guy tell his friend about his encounter with me, mocking me with my own words and laughing. I'm on my guard, but don't want to pack everything up and get in the car; I have a right to be there and I don't feel like I'm in extreme danger. After what seems like an eternity, the pair finally drive away. I feel like I can breathe again and I finish taking my photos in peace.

parkleigh mural rochester ny

The thing is, nothing bad happened, really. I wasn't physically assaulted. I wasn't even catcalled. I'm not trying to make something out of nothing. But this is precisely the kind of bullshit women have to deal with on a daily basis. And I resent the fact I apparently need to bring along my boyfriend or another person just to make sure that nobody invades my personal space and ruins my morning. I realize #notallmen are like this (ugh), but it's way too common and represents a huge problem that many people fail to recognize. So please: if you are in a position to speak up about this sort of behavior when you see it, do it. No one should have to feel unsafe just because she's a woman going about her routine.

lilac mural

All that being said... this dress is everything. The print isn't a typical spring floral, which makes it a bit more versatile for year-round wear. In all honesty, I think this is my absolute favorite Voodoo Vixen dress I've ever owned. The fit is amazing (and it has pockets, yay!), and I love the silhouette. Plus, the print makes me realize how much I feel like I'm blossoming along with the flowers. Last year at this time, I was so overwhelmed with figuring out what I was going to do with my life. And now, I have a creatively fulfilling job at which I excel, I'm starting to take control of my health, and I'm in a relationship with someone I really care about. It may not always be easy and I may not handle everything with poise, but I'm so excited about what this spring will be and I feel so proud about how far I've come.

flower mural
Outfit Details
Allie Dark Floral Dress: c/o Voodoo Vixen
Shoes: similar  ||  Necklace: similar
Belt: from another dress

allie floral dress voodoo vixen

In addition to Voodoo Vixen's new spring/summer line (which is just beautiful), they're having an Easter sale on some of their earlier pieces. So if there's something you've had your eye on, be sure to grab it quick like a bunny!

7 comments:

  1. This story sounds so eerily familiar with things I've encountered venturing out for photos. WHY!? Just WHY!? The timing is impeccable and it's infuriating how weird people act. JUST GO AWAY! Ugh, sorry you had to experience that. How annoying. I find there is always some weirdo lurking when I go to locations. It's very odd coincidences and I try to bring Cody with me if I am going anywhere public for this reason. Which sucks.

    All that aside, I am glad you stuck around and didn't leave. These photos are so cute - love the wall behind you! So perfect for this perfect dress. I like that it has darker/bolder hues instead of the usual pastel and Spring colors. It's still Spring-y even with its darker colors and I am digging it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving this print. Sorry to hear about those jerky dudes though :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH. As much as I'm sorry that that happened, I'm really glad you shared this. It's an excellent point that even though nothing necessarily bad happened, this (or similar experiences) is pretty typical for women. It's so shitty that he thought it was okay to gawk at you and talk about you like you weren't there. UGH UGH UGH. It's exactly that situations like that that make me wonder how some people can ask why feminism or important or claim that men and women are completely equal.

    But ANYWAY, I'm so proud of you for staying even though you were uncomfortable because you look damn good in this gorgeous dress and this backdrop was so worth staying for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry that this happened to you, what idiots. You look fantastic and what beautiful pictures you got, this dress is pure dreamy. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about that awful experience, you just instantly feel uncomfortable and it's good to be aware of it. I have encountered that before and it's not nice at all.

    On another note these photos look beautiful, I love that dress and your shoes are so pretty! Perfect backdrop for this outfit x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that sux, that guy was acting that way! :( I also take my own blog photos about 90% of the time, and like you in more private places so no one is looking at me or asking what are you doing? Sometimes I do worry that I may have a creep like that come up and approach me, whilst taking my photos. Though I try not to let it affect me that much!
    Anyway great location and such a gorgeous dress on you! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. So annoying! People annoy me in general but when they get in your business while you are trying to go about and do something it is all the more annoying. Good on you to keep going about what you were doing. Sorry you had to go through that. You're pictures are so calm and collected I never would have known. You look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...